Before applying for scholarships, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The FAFSA will provide data necessary for your application and may make you eligible for federal or state grants as well.
Apply early to get the most out of your FAFSA - it opens October 1st.
What you will need to complete the FAFSA:
- Social Security / Alien ID number for parents and student (if your parents do not have a social security number, you can still complete the form if the student has one)
- Last year's income tax information and any other income such as savings accounts, stocks, bonds, etc.
- A list of schools you're interested in attending (up to 10)
- If you are an independent student, parent information is not required
- If immigration status is an obstacle, the WASFA is an alternative