Manson Students Award $10,000 to Teachers
From Manson G3 Fund at the Community Foundation of NCW
ASB student Javis Escalera awards a grant to Elementary Music Teacher Andrea Whitney
In January, the Associated Student Body (ASB) at Manson High School convened to review grant applications submitted by their own teachers and awarded $10,000 to winners for various school needs.
Created by Manson residents and business owners Jack and Gale Courtney, the Manson Great Giving Grants (G3) provide an opportunity for class officers to make their school a better place while also participating in the grant-making process. The ASB students collectively reviewed 18 applications, had thoughtful discussion, determined 12 final recipients, and distributed awards to elementary, middle, and high school teachers.
Managed by the Community Foundation of NCW, the grants provide funding for school needs and enhancements, and a valuable learning experience for the ASB students.
The following are this year’s Manson G3 recipients and their awards:
- Jay Fox, PE Teacher – $500 for a lockable ball cart
- Carman Fretwell, Special Education – $250 for sensory materials for special needs students
- Kavla Helleson, School Counselor – $325 for Kelso’s Choice, conflict resolution curriculum for grades K-5
- Heather Ireland, Principal – $600 for 5th Annual Family Math Night
- Andrea Whitney, Music Teacher – $1,000 for music curriculum and mallets
- Tara Janet, Science and Erick Helleson, Math – $875 for probes and interface units for ipads for science department projects
- Chas Pauly, PE/Math/Science – $2,000 for weight room equipment
- Phil Thomas, Art Teacher – $1,550 for art display case
- Kamie Kronbauer, Math Teacher – $200 for multiple math projects
- Don Vanderholm, Principal and Kristy Nelson, Administrative Secretary – $1,500 for academic awards ceremony
Secondary Support Staff
- Karoline Martin, Librarian – $800 for library books
- Adelina Velasco, Parent Involvement Coordinator – $400 for daycare to support parents taking GED preparation classes
CONGRATULATIONS teachers, staff, and students!
Subscribe to the CFNCW e-newsletter for donor news, scholarship opportunities, and good work being done in the community.
Leave a Comment