Community Foundation Awards $50,370 in Grants to Local Schools
The Community Foundation of NCW has awarded $50,370 in Stronger Schools grants across North Central Washington.
Stronger Schools supports public schools serving Pre-K through 12th grade in Chelan, Douglas, and Okanogan Counties. Up to $5,000 is available per school applicant to support programs that enrich schools experiences for students, support teacher development, and provide opportunities for schools to better achieve their goals.
“Stronger Schools grants are meant to help schools go beyond their ability to fund basic education needs and offer expanded, inspiring student experiences” said Denise Sorom, director of community philanthropy. “We’re excited about the range of innovative programs we’re able to support this year that will aim to make learning fun.”
The following grant awards will support programs for the 2016-2017 academic year:
- Beaver Valley Elementary – $2,700 Art curriculum at Grunewald Guild for students at Beaver Valley Elementary
- Icicle River Middle School – $5,000 Implement an AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) program for 8th grade
- Pateros School District – $5,000 Creation of Makerspace for school library
- Virginia Grainger Elementary – $5,000 Music and Movement project for elementary students
- Tonasket School District – $2,200 Tonasket Choice High School PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) end of the year field trip
Wenatchee/East Wenatchee Area
- Columbia Elementary – $3,120 Wenatchee River Institute Youth Field Day Trip
- Lewis and Clark PTSA – $2,350 5th Grade Field Trip to Pacific Science Center
- Orchard Middle School – $5,000 Robotics set and library audiobooks
- Pioneer Middle School – $5,000 Creation of Makerspace for school library
- Rock Island Elementary – $5,000 Extended day program offering additional time and support for non-bilingual students that qualify for the Learning Assistance Program (LAP)
- Washington Elementary – $5,000 Mysteriously Coding Robots
- Wenatchee Valley Technical Skills Center – $5,000 Car Hood project; Build a Drone; Close-up Photography; Community Outreach event
The Stronger Schools grant is offered annually. The next application opens January 15, 2017 and is due March 15, 2017.
Subscribe to the CFNCW e-newsletter for donor news, scholarship opportunities, and good work being done in the community.
Leave a Comment