Community Foundation of NCW Awards $89,750 in Covid-19 Relief to Nonprofits
The Community Foundation of NCW has awarded $89,750 to 24 nonprofits across the region who have been significantly impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. The funds come from the Helping Hands Grant, the Board of Trustees Fund, and donations from the public.
“When we started to see the effect the pandemic was having on our nonprofit community, we knew we had to use our resources to help” said Beth Stipe, the foundation’s executive director. “We expanded the criteria for our Helping Hands grant – which typically funds emergent needs – to include issues our nonprofit partners are facing with Covid-19”.
The foundation also utilized its Board of Trustee fund, where board members donate to this “rainy day” type fund. The Board approved using $55,000 toward supporting nonprofits that provide vital services such as access to food and rental assistance. Agencies receiving a distribution from this fund include: Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council, Okanogan County Community Action Council, Room One (Methow Valley), Serve Wenatchee, Salvation Army (Wenatchee), Children’s Home Society of Wenatchee, Safety, Advocacy, Growth, and Empowerment (SAGE), and Chelan Valley Hope.
“We are looking at all of our resources right now and where they can help the most” said Stipe. “We are being thoughtful about what we can do right now, but also be poised to support the region in the long run. We know from our past experiences from the recession and from wildfire disaster recoveries, the needs of our communities will likely increase.”
Over $100,000 has been donated by Community Foundation donors and the public. “We’re so grateful for those in our community who are able to give what they can and help those in need right now” said Stipe.
HELPING HANDS GRANTS – $34,750
- Garden Terrace Senior Living – $1,600 Individual meal service during dining room closure
- Icicle Creek Center for the Arts – $3,000 Recoup direct costs from cancelled event
- Life Choices – $300 Recoup direct costs from cancelled event
- Methow Valley Citizens Council – $800 Recoup direct costs from cancelled event
- Mobile Meals of Wenatchee – $1,700 Increased meal delivery service for home-bound citizens
- North Valley Hospital District – $3,000 Supplies to 3D-print 200 N95 masks with reusable inserts
- Okanogan County Community Coalition – $3,000 Fabricating PPE including masks and gowns for local healthcare workers and emergency responders
- Omak Food Bank – $3,000 Increased food bank demands
- The Community for the Advancement of Family Education (CAFÉ) – $3,000 Outreach to Spanish-speaking community on Covid-19 and available resources
- Thrive Chelan Valley – $3,000 Weekend food support for Chelan/Manson students
- TwispWorks Foundation – $3,000 Connecting small local businesses impacted to resources
- Wellness Place – $3,000 Gas cards for patients needing to travel to appointments and increased costs for shipping nutritional food
- Wenatchee River Institute – $750 Recoup direct costs from cancelled event
- Wenatchee Valley Dispute Resolution Center – $1,000 Technology and equipment to support the move to Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) mediation services
- Wenatchee Valley Humane Society – $3,000 Pet Food Pantry that provides for low-income pet owners
- Wenatchee Valley Symphony Association – $1,600 Recoup direct costs from cancelled event
The foundation is accepting donations to the Helping Hands Grant Fund and hopes to continue awarding grants every other week until funds are expended.
For more information on grants, resources, and how to donate, visit our Covid-19 Response Support page.